Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ambien doses?

My doctor prescribed Ambiem in the 10mg dosage. I've taken this dosage and it is not helping me sleep. What happens if I take another one??
Answer:
Ambien comes in 5mg and 10mg. Your doctor has given you the higher of the two and I would seriously consider that dose to be the limit.
Ambien is not the kind of sleeping pill that will make you groggy or tired. Basically you have to work with it. Which means take it and within 15 minutes or less, lay down to sleep. Close your eyes. Thats the way it is supposed to work.
Even tho you may not be falling asleep, Ambien still works in a way that you might be able to function even hours after you take it, but it can cause a sort of "amnesia".What you did after it took effect and before sleep may not be retrievable as a memory. Recent reports were also of people even driving while taking Ambien.
There is also Ambien CR, which does help you to fall asleep in the same manner, but it will also help you to stay asleep by releasing the med slowly into your system. Ambien CR (controlled release) might leave you a bit tired the next day.
Ambien is an effective medication for difficulty sleeping. In that you've taken 10 mg with no success, I would guess that you may have expected to get tired or groggy. Work with your sleep habits and environment before you decide 10mg isnt doing it for you. Avoid caffeine, exercise, reading provoking material, watching TV in your bedroom before sleep. Keep your bedroom dark enough and at a comfortable temp as well to encourage sleep. Like I said, take the Ambien and lay down and it should do its stuff. I would consider self medicating over 10 mg to be ineffective and dangerous.
If none of this helps, likely you'd have to change to a different med.
Good Luck.
If it's not helping you sleep i would check with your doctor instead of taking another one. I personally don't like sleeping medication in the first place...for a lot of reasons, but it is very easy to become dependant on them, so be very very careful.and talk with your doctor about everything
You should not exceed this dose. It is the maximum recommended dosage for adults. This medication is for short term use only, if your insomnia is a chronic problem you should ask for a different prescription. Also, make sure you do not drink alcohol or take over the counter medicines while on this med. as there are many interactions.
Sweet dreams
God bless
in my personal experience. 20mg (which is against the label and prescribing guidelines) doesn't help me sleep... it makes me groggy and restless and not able to enjoy whatever I do with my evening (studying, researching, cleaning stuff), but when I actually do manage to fall asleep. I'm freaking dead to the world until 1:30pm the next day. elephants can prance around outside, the neighbor can bang on the door, my phone can ring incessantly, and I have no awareness of it..and its not really restful sleep.. still feel groggy and worn out even after sleeping half the day

No comments:

Post a Comment

vc .net