Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An embarrasing problem.. no abusive answers please?

I am really afraid of shots. I have not had one for two years though, but when I learned I had to have a TB test I go paranoid. Is there anything I can do to overcome this fear?
Answer:
I refuse vaccines of any kind, but when I have blood drawn (makes me queasy) I learned that if I suck on a peppermint or eat a chocolate covered caramel candy (and look away from the needle) it really helps a lot. Aromatherapy helps; spray on some great smelling perfume before you go in.Don't feel bad. My brother faints every time he just LOOKS at a needle (he almost fainted at the birth of his child), while my little daughter is totally unfazed no matter how many times she gets stuck. We're all different.
don't allow paranoia to control you - be assured, a shot is almost painless !
Don't look at the needle when they're taking blood/giving shots...talk to someone else in the room and don't even pay attention to it...other than that...i;m not sure how to ease your anxiety...sorry!
ciao for now,
tara =D
just face your fears.i had to get shots once a day for a year and before that i was not scared of them but i didn't like them but now i am used to them and realize that they are not so bad. i hope that helped.
Just close your eyes and look away, or bring someone with you to hold your hand. I had to have a TB test when I started work at a daycare, and it was pretty painless, just a pinch. Just squeeze your eyes shut, look the other way, or hold onto something of comfort to you (a person, a stress ball, etc...)
Turn your head AWAY from the arm they'll be doing the TB test on. And when you're pricked...DON'T TURN AROUND until it's done with. Oh, and you might wanna clench your jaws a bit too...
Im afraid of shots too but i just wait for the lolipop after =).
Don't worry at all, really. It's better to just have a little shot for 5 seconds than to have a serious illness for 5 years, right?
There's nothing to worry about. Just think about something else; start a conversation with someone, even make jokes, and, also, don't look at your arm (or whatever they do the shot in) while they actually do the shot. Don't tense you muscle, either.
You'll be fine, just as long as you believe you'll be.
I don't know how to ease your fear, but I might be able to add a little comfort in letting you know that a tb shot does not go straight into your arm, but just under the skin. You will be ok.
I am a fainter, especially when I'm having blood drawn, and here are my tips:
1. Tell the healthcare provider, "I'm afraid of shots. I get lightheaded. Please help distract me during this." He/she really needs to know this.
2. Talk to the healthcare provider about yourself, such as "I had such a bad day at school today!" or "I'm thinking about having my hair dyed green" or whatever!
3. Ask the healthcare provider questions about him or herself. "What education do you have to have to do this?" "How long have you worked here?"
4. Take a deep breath before the shot and BREATHE OUT SLOWLY during the shot. This will keep you from tensing up.I hope this has been helpful.
I understand, I hate getting shots, having blood drawn, an IV is just the worst! But, I don't let it control me. I tell the person that I have a fear of needles and they reassure me and work as quickly as possible. I do my part by looking away and sitting still. As for a TB test, is it just a skin test? If so that isn't so bad. It's a 1in x1in square or there about that they press on your forearm-think the pokey side of velcro-and they take right back off. All that happens is that you wait to see if you have a reaction over the next day or two. You'll do just fine.
I think most people aren't big fans of needles. I agree with others who've said not to look at it. When you look at it, it just bugs you more. Your heart rate speed ups, your breathing speeds up, and you may start to get dizzy. For the TB test, eat before you go. Tell the nurse you hate needles. Bring something to read while she's doing the test. And chew on gum, a mint, a chocolate. Basically, anything that takes your mind off of what's going to happen. A lot of it is mental. I know the pain itself is no problem, it's usually when I get blood drawn and watch it that bothers me. Focus on other things. That's the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment

vc .net