Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ankle Twist or Sprain?

Yesterday I was showing my friend a spin, and I hopped on it wrong and felt a sharp pain. I can walk on normally %26 even still dance on it basically, it's only if I turn my ankle in an unusual way or put lots of pressure on it I get small pain. There is absolutely NO SWELLING at all, just a minor bruising around the ankle.Since there is no swelling...what can I do to speed up the healing process? How long will it take? Will ice work.since ice is only for swelling?
Answer:
Definitely R.I.C.E. like everyone else has already suggested, but also get a x-ray to make sure nothing else is broken or chipped. You'd be surprised that the littlest injury can cause a small bone to chip. You may need to allow the ankle to heal a bit before going back to dancing. A temporary time in a walking boot will help and then a move to a lace-up ankle brace and then PT to help with the ankle rehab. Most sprain and twists of the ankle takes about 2-3 weeks.
Alternate heat %26 iceIce helps with swelling, but also increases blood flow.
Luck
go to an urgent care for an xray -you cannot rule out a fracture without one.
RICE. rest,ice (first 24-48 hrs), compression (use ace wrap) elevation.
Yes ice will help. Even if it doesn't really look swollen, there is swelling of the deep tissues.
Ice 20 min on 20 off for the next 24hrs. Keep it elevated.You can try some heat after a day if it is still sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

vc .net