Sunday, October 25, 2009

About how long does it to heal from a total hip replacement surgery .?

I had surgery back in April and I still hurt I have good days and then its like I over do then I have areally bad couple of days.By over doing I mean I do the excerise the Doctor said to do and I walk around the house like the Doctor said to do .Anyone have any suggestion
Answer:
The incision itself heals closed in about 2-3 weeks. But there's a lot more to hip replacement recovery besides a healed incision. I've had both of my hips replaced in separate surgeries several months apart. By my math, you are only 4-8 weeks into your recovery which isn't all that long. It takes time for those over-stretched muscles to stop screaming. You can't hurry this part up and it can be the most aggravating part of the total hip replacement experience because although you feel really good, your hip isn't 100% quite yet. My surgeon told me that the muscles can gain strength and tone for up to a year.
My advice (which is worth what you paid for it!) is to keep at the physical therapy exercises and do them religiously each day. If you limp, go back to your crutch, walker, or cane so your gait is smooth. If you're doing what your doctor and physical therapist (I assume you had some kind of outpatient PT) have prescribed, you're doing fine.
I went to outpatient PT 2-3 times a week from about the 4th week postop until about week 8. In addition to the PT, I did the bed exercises (the ones that I was given in the hospital) at home 3 times a day for several months. By the 3rd-4th month post-op, I took longer walks outside - up to a mile sometimes. I stopped using a walking aid at about 3 months (but I kept my cane in the car "just in case").
Do you like burnt toast too? Do you like over done veal? Do you like wilted salad, vegetables, and rotted flowers?
I suggest that you follow the doctor's instructions and keep your doctor up to date on how you feel. Your doctor needs to know what is going on in order to properly advise you.Further, your progress is your progress. Each individual deals with injury and heals in a unique manner. If concerned, talk with your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net