Sunday, October 25, 2009

A question of sleep. My son, 19 has gone to bed this evening after just a couple of drinks, yet when his music

started blaring out at a distorted level, waking the whole household, he didn't wake. My husband shouted loudly, I slapped the back of his hand 30-40 times, the light was full on and still we can't wake him. He his breathing regularly, even snoring. I've never seen behaviour like this - have you, and how can this deep sleep happen - we still can't wake him - hence sitting up so late in the morning!
Answer:
Oh it can happen all right, and it can happen without alcohol. It could be that the drinks helped him to sleep more deeply.I used to do that, sleep like I was dead. I slept for 19 hours straight one time (after drinking but not a lot). Another time I slept for 36 hours, and that was without ANY alcohol whatsoever. I was just home from college after exams. It sounds unbelievable but it happened to me. I woke up once to get something to eat and returned to bed in ten minutes. My mom thought I was dead because I slept for almost 24 hours, but she kept checking my vital signs. I eventually woke up, a bit disoriented but well rested. I slept through many fire alarms, including one in my parents' house. They were furious, accusing me of ignoring it (false alarm in the middle of the night). But there was almost nothing to wake me up. In college the residence staff used to kick me out of bed during fire alarms (many times) as they were required to go room to room, and I lived by myself--nobody to wake me up. I could've burned up if it was a real fire.Some people need a lot of sleep, and some people sleep very hard. It wouldn't hurt to bring it up to the doctor, but if he was not drunk and just fell asleep heavily, it isn't a matter of life or death. The big thing is if he was really drunk, or just really tired.
ring nhs direct 0845 46 47
I'm not sure, but why are you allowing him to have a "couple of drinks" when he's only 19?I would shake him, and if he still doesn't wake up I would call 911.
JEZUZ! Call 911.CRIPES, what is wrong with you?? First of all, he shouldn't be drinking and second---he probably lied about how much he had to drink and he has alcohol poisoning.
that's really wierd. call the emergency room or the doctor and see what they recommend. maybe he's sick or something.
Call the ambulance. He may have alcohol poisoning.
he is pi$$ed. our 16 year old comes home in this state often.
i would be concerned if this isn't normal..i would call your doctor..something seriously could be wrong!
Maybe he had more to drink than you think. Why are you allowing him to drink if he's only 19 years old? If you can't wake him up, he could be extremely intoxicated and possibly have alcohol poisoning. Call the paramedics to come out and make sure that he's alright.
First, to wake someone who is not easily arousable, you can rub your knuckles on their chest bones (sternum). IT hurts and should awaken them. If they are not responding to ANYTHING you do, you should call an ambulance. They may have taken pills, and are in a coma, or could be having alcohol poisoning.
He could have had his drink spiked. I would get him to the hospital.
he didn't wake because hes drunk. Turn him on his side, if he's brething OK he'll be fine, just let him sleep it off. That's all the doctor will say
Personally, I would get off of ByeDr.coms and call the paramedics ...
I've never heard of this happening. Just to make sure he's safe you should have him go to the doctor, they'll probably want to do a sleep study, watch his brain while he sleeps.
roll him on his side and leave some painkillers near him for morning.you can make his life miserable during his hangover
He is not in an actual sleep, he is in an alcohol induced 'blackout'. All sensory perceptions are shut down that is why he is not responding to any external stimuli such as light, noise and back of hand slapping.
The major concern is if he was to vomit at this stage as he could choke on it.
He will wake up with a major headache so have plenty of water on hand for him as he will be dehydrated.
Have to ask, how big were the 'couple' of drinks? As this behaviour usually comes about from a lot more alcohol consumption or, if something else is used at the same time.
I agree with the others who have suggested getting medical advice, possible he may have had his drink spiked??
In Australia it is legal for 18 year olds to drink, vote and get licences for just about anything. So we experience this behaviour in our young one's and some 'oldies' often.
Hope his head doesn't hurt too much.
just put him in the recovery position,and give nhs direct a ring if you are concerned. If this is not normal for your son to be a heavy sleeper then i would call just to get a medical opinion, and they will assess him on if he needs medical attention. If you see any blueness on the lips then call 999 or 911 depending on where you live. Did he seem OK when he came home? Did he appear drunk? I would call nhs direct just to be safe. 08454647, (UK)
Legal age is 18 in UK to drink alcohol, and is quite common for 19 yr olds to have a few drinks, for all those who seemed shocked that a 19yr old has had a drink of Alcohol.
the paramedics will probably stick a breathing tube down his throat and he will wake up in seconds... let him sleep it off...
he is just playing a prank on you! I did that to my folks lol they thought I was dead. hahaha
So why wake him? He's asleep, leave him alone.
hi my partner is just the same but he is over weight and often goes into a deep sleep it takes me hours to wake him and even then he isnt really awake. if you are really concerned then phone nhs direct for some advice as he might of taken pills or something or just keep checking on him

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net