Sunday, October 25, 2009

Acid reflux...and then some?

I have had acid reflux for about 4 years now and my dotcor told me to just take Prilosec daily. This has worked well this entire time. But I just got back from a week long vacation full of heavy drinking and smoking (pretty typical for me) and suddenly spicy foods burn my throat even going down. Has anyone had this happen? I'm just kind of concerned that the acid has been slowly making my throat worse. Ideas?
Answer:
the acid can cause lots of damage, you probably need stronger meds like Nexium or Omeprazole. You need to adjust your diet before you do permanent damage!
you got a seriouse condition you shouldn't be doing something stupid like eating spicey food or drinking alcohol. Now, acid reflux is a simple thing to stop. Antacids are just a temporary fix. They are not a cure. Everytime you feel it, just lie down and rub your tummy up and town and relax your back. When you sleep, lay on your right side to let the acid drain.
Like you I also have severe Acid Reflux.I got so used to taking Prilosec that it doesnt work anymore.Try taking Gaviscon Extra Strengh. Also try to avoid such spicy foods (as much as you can). The only real way to avoid acid reflux is to avoid or reduce consumption of foods and beverages that contain caffeine, chocolate, peppermint, spearmint, and alcohol. Both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee increase acid secretion.
There's also the other option of getting surgery (which I hear works wonders).If you continue to eat foods that give you heartburn it's only going to eat away at your lining.Also, to reduce such pain during heartburn, try lying on the left side rather than on the right. The stomach is located higher than the esophagus when a person sleeps on the right side, which can put pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), increasing the risk for fluid back-up. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net